Thursday, September 07, 2006

Reality TV is NOT a four letter word

In film school, we'd inevitably discuss films that we enjoyed.
Often times, one would mention his or her love for independent film. Or perhaps one loved Hollywood and Tommy Boy was their favorite.
They pretty much ran the gamut.
I always maintained, however, that there is good and bad in every genre and every type of film and television.
Some horror movies suck. Romantic comedies too. But they don't ALL suck. They can't.
It's impossible and you can quote me on that.
Well most people look down on reality tv. It is somehow less than even the shittiest of fictional shows in the eyes of many.
But my theory stands. Not all reality tv sucks. Yeah, there are a lot of shows that feed on the bottom. Just base, ridiculous drama for the sake of drama.
Jennifer loves those shows and I have to admit that from time to time, that works for me too.
But some is actually good.
This brings me to my point in a roundabout way.
I have grown to love many shows on the Discovery Channel. I never thought that would be me. I don't particularly like sharks and I'm not all that interested in science either.
It was THIS man who changed all of that.


THAT is the Crocodile Hunter, Steve Irwin and he was a truly great man. No sarcasm at all. The man loved animals and turned rescuing and caring for them into excellent television. He was charismatic and extremely likeable. Sadly, he is no longer with us, but as it was pointed out, Steve died doing what he loved. I'm not going to tell you the details cause you already know them. And if you don't, you can find them on any of a hundred sites. But this man changed my opinion of reality television.

This next man has a show called Dirty Jobs and while he doesn't usually save any lives, he profiles people.



His name is Mike Rowe and basically, if you have a shitty, dirty job, he'll come and do the job with you on television. He has a great respect for the people who do the jobs that I don't want to do. This week, he celebrated his 100th job with a 2 hour special. He's funny, interesting, and much like Steve, he has a genuine and obvious love for the subject matter.

This brings us to the Mythbusters. Brad and I decided a long time ago that these men truly have the greatest jobs on the planet.



They are Jamie and Adam and they debunk myths. They get to shoot guns, blow shit up, and build all sorts of crazy shit. They rock and there is a hot chick on their show. I only mention her because I did a search on Mythbusters 9/10 of what came up were pictures of this woman.



Her name is Kari and she proves that a lot of horny nerds watch Mythbusters. Sadly, at least half of the pictures on the web are of her in a skin tight outfit (for a myth, no doubt), bending over. That said, she's smart too, so maybe she's the nerd's ultimate dream. Who knows?
Anyway, we'll miss you Steve.
As well, I love you Mike, Jamie, and Adam and yes, you too Kari.
Reality television that doesn't suck. That's a good thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ryan Cody said...

dirtyjobs and mythbusters kick ass.

4:03 PM, September 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home