Thursday, May 04, 2006

T minus 10 days...

That's right. The big move is in TEN days. That is like no time.
I have so much to do, it's really freaking me out. And that is on top of moving to a city where I know virtually nobody.

So rather than deal with it, I'm gonna do what I do best.
Talk about "stuff."

"Stuff" is wonderful. "Stuff" can make you happy, move you, excite you. "Stuff" is part of what makes life fun.

And this week, some good records came out. As you all know, records are big "stuff" for me.
This week, the new Pearl Jam and Tool records dropped. The last Tool record, Lateralus, was awesome and this is a typical Tool album. It's got long songs, the songs sort of work in movements like classical music. And there really isn't a bad track on it. It's called 10,000 Days and anyone who likes hard rock, should get it. The packaging is cool too.

And the Pearl Jam is sort of a return to form. The last one, Riot Act, was very good, but Eddie sort of avoided his upper register for a bulk of the album. There was not a lot of "rock" vibe to it and to be honest, it just wasn't one of their best. The new one, which is self-titled, is a return to the rock and the upper register. Cause we really all wanna hear Eddie scream anyway, right?

Another new one is Wolfmother, a new band from Australia. I like this record a lot. At times it sounds like The Mars Volta and at others, Led Zeppelin, The Darkness, and Jack White. It's also self-titled and fairly cheap. I got it for like 7 bucks. It's good old fashioned hard rock the way Zeppelin would do it. And I like it.

Two others I have been listening to, but have not yet dropped are the Dirty Pretty Things and Camera Obscura. DPT is basically the Libertines minus Pete Doherty. The sad bit is that this album and the Babyshambles record make me really wish they would just get back together. Both albums are good, but that first Libertines record, Up the Bracket, is incredible.

Camera Obscura is Scottish indie pop. Sort of like Belle & Sebastian meets the Concretes. It's really easy to listen to and to be honest, is a perfect example of what I like most to listen to these days. I've sort of gotten into the whole european indie pop thing. The first song is my favorite so far, though all I can remember about the title is that it mentions someone called Lloyd.

Now, the thing I am most excited about. With some money we got for Jen's graduation, she bought me something I have been reading about on the internet for a couple weeks. It's called the Buddha machine.

It's a small radio shaped device with a cheap speaker in the front of it and it was created by an electronica group I can't recall the name of at the moment. Basically, you download 9 short (like a matter of seconds) pieces of ambient music and it plays it on a loop. Theoretically, you could turn it on and let it play the same loop for hours. Supposedly it's this very cool, very popular little thing that has the indie music scene buzzing. I think it would be awesome for me to have as I am a naturally high strung person and when a neighbor is blasting bass, which happens often, I really can't do anything. So rather than try to compete with my own music, I can listen to this thing, which comes with a headphone jack, and tune it all out.

It may be awesome and it may be crap, but it was worth 23 bucks to find out.

1 Comments:

Blogger Derek Ruiz said...

Wolfmother is my new fav.

10:32 PM, May 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home