Saturday, April 22, 2006

What Am I Reading?

The Essential Spider-Man Vol 1

I never really knew how good the original Spider-Man stories were. Steve Ditko is no Jack Kirby and there are sort of a lot of strange looking panels. That said, this is a damn good book and definitely worth $17.


Nick Fury - Steranko collection
I don't know much about Steranko, but I keep hearing how awesome he is/was. Sadly, very little of his work exists in reprinted (read: cheap) form, so I started here. The artwork is very impressive.


BPRD: The Black Flame

I just finished this up last night. I won't spoil it for anyone, but damn. It definitely will have repercussions throughout the BPRD universe. And I like Guy Davis's art. If it can't be Mignola, he works too.


Man-Bat
Everyone should go out and buy this. Admittedly, Man-Bat is not the most imaginative Batman villain, but this is an excellent mini-series. The story is interesting so far, but the real reason to buy it is Mike Huddleston's art. I've loved his work in the past, but this in particular is excellent work. It's atmospheric, well done, incredible. Buy it.

3 Comments:

Blogger Shaun said...

Good to see you updating this. You now have more outlets of communication than anyone else on the planet. But considering that you communicate such interesting things I suppose that's a good thing.

Awesome pic of Paikea BTW.

3:48 AM, April 23, 2006  
Blogger Harry said...

What?! You disparage Steve Ditko!? How dare you! Blasphemer!

But seriously folks, on the Kirby/Ditko debate, I've always been on the Ditko side, especially for his work on Dr. Strange. I like Kirby, and his Fantastic Four work was well done, but he was no Steve Ditko.

3:59 PM, April 23, 2006  
Blogger Grant Alter said...

Hmmmmm....I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then because some of those Spider-Man panels are just ugly.

11:47 PM, April 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home