Saturday, April 22, 2006

EC #4 - My Aim is True


My Aim is True, one of the greatest debut albums of all time.

The year was 1977 and Declan MacManus took the handle Elvis Costello for the first time and made a punk album that strangely sounds like it was recorded in the 50's. It's the classic, angry, young man album. Now, if you listened to My Aim is True and immediately followed it up with some of his modern stuff, you might think it was a completely different man on a completely different planet.

If you think about it, in 1977, a punk dressed like Buddy Holly might have seemed pretty alien as well.

It launches with a fast, short little jaunt, "Welcome to the Working Week," which really sets up his entire career. This album is like if a punky, sarcastic kid from the 50's cut a record.

Perhaps EC's best known song, "Alison" sneaks into the middle of the album and is instantly memorable.

But there are a ton of highlights. This is a truly great album and there are songs here not represented on the greatest hits record that are still very worthwhile.
"Blame it on Cain" is an amazing track and I have NO idea why it's not on there. "Less Than Zero" is excellent as well. Luckily, they didn't completely fuck it up and they included "Watching the Detectives" and "(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes," which are two of his best songs period.

The bonus disc is cool, but not really essential. The only tracks I am excited about are EC's cover of "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself" (in my opinion, a spectacular version of a not so spectacular song) and a couple demos of tracks that would eventually see light on his second album.

A great record that I recommend highly.

Rating: 9

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home