Saturday, April 22, 2006

EC #7 - Armed Forces


In 1979, EC released Armed Forces.

This album is notable for a few reasons.

1. Bebe Buell, Liv Tyler's mother claims that at least one track, "Party Girl" was written about her, though EC dismisses the claim.

2. The album is titled Armed Forces and clearly has a military/love theme. He states in the liner notes, that the album was to be called Emotional Fascism and it's possible that could have been a better title. Song titles include: "Two Little Hitlers," "Goon Squad," and "Oliver's Army."

3. This was the first album attributed to Elvis Costello & the Attractions though This Year's Model did feature the Attractions as backing band.

There are a few great songs, notably "Oliver's Army," the Nick Lowe penned "(What's So Funny) 'Bout Peace, Love, and Understanding?," and "Accidents Will Happen."

As for my thoughts about the album, it's not my favorites. The highs are high and the rest is boring. The bonus disc is cool because it contains several tracks from the famous Hollywood High School show. But other than that, this would not make my desert island EC discs.

Rating: 6

6 Comments:

Blogger Harry said...

I really like the early Elvis Costello albums. The sound was awful and I'm wonder if you've heard any of the ones you've reviewed on CD.

By the way, I met Bebe Buell many years ago, before she was Liv Tyler's mother.

9:29 PM, April 22, 2006  
Blogger Grant Alter said...

Yeah, I only have them on CD. They're all remastered and everything so they sound nice. Even most of the live and bonus tracks sound clear and crisp too.
All I own are the Rhino rereleases that have been coming out over the last couple years and if you can get your hands on those, they're nice. And not too expensive either. The Get Happy!! set had 50 tracks when all was said and done.

Yeah, I suppose I should have mentioned that she was a groupie extraordinaire, shouldn't I have?

9:52 PM, April 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You obviously didn't read her book. She says VERY CLEARLY that "Party Girl" was NOT about her. As a matter of fact, you can go to Amazon.com and search her name "Bebe Buell" (the book is called Rebel Heart) under books and get to search inside the book. Just type in Elvis Costello and you get every single thing she said- and you get to look for free!
So that is a misconception.

4:28 PM, July 02, 2006  
Blogger Grant Alter said...

Well ok then. I just know what it says in the liner notes.

To be honest, I could give a rat's ass about Bebe Buell and whatever nonsense book she wrote. She is famous for sleeping with famous people. Who cares?

Thanks for sharing though.

6:44 PM, July 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Get your facts straight! Elvis HIMSELF said in a very recent interview that he was NOT talking about Ms. Buell when he penned that remark. He further went on to say that people just "run with the rumors and the lies at the expense of other's", which is exactly what you are doing. If you don't give a rat's arse then shut up and stop being a person who can't get his facts straight!
Your nasty response just makes it clear that Elvis is RIGHT!!

9:39 AM, August 15, 2006  
Blogger Grant Alter said...

Hey,
I'm gonna say it again.
My post is based on the liner notes to said album.
If you have such a hard on for this whore, then contact Rhino records and force them to reprint all the copies of the album.
Do I care enough to read her book?
Nope.
Do I care enough to do research on a woman who is famous for spreading for any dude with a guitar?
Nope.

I was reviewing the album and I used the information I had at hand.
I don't even like that fucking song.
Get lost and really...I think it's time for you to have an interest beyond whores. I mean really. There are many things one can be knowledgeable about in this world and to choose parasites just makes no sense.
Sort of like missing the forest for the trees.

12:28 PM, August 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home