Monday, October 30, 2006

Lucky

I've done more or less nothing today, but still, I feel drained and sick. This is largely because when I came to check out my computer today, I had an instant message from one of my best friends, Derek Ruiz, saying that his house had burned to the ground and he lost everything.
After that, I couldn't get ahold of him, which was freaking me out. Now he had already told me that he was okay, so I wasn't worried about his health or whatever. But I felt really helpless.
Over the last year or so, Derek and I have communicated in some way virtually every day. When I met him in person this August in Chicago, I knew that we'd be friends for a long time.
Sometimes, with internet friends, you don't really know how that's going to translate when you actually sit down with the person. But we got along great and it was natural as can be.
And when one of your friends hurts, you hurt too. Or I do anyway.
As it turns out, he's been taking it well, but he lost literally EVERYTHING he owns and he has no insurance.
My feelings are all over the map. I feel really lucky for one thing. I feel bummed for him because he essentially has to start over again. A comics collection gone - 20 years in the making. Luckily, he has a big and generous family and they're all coming together to get him more clothes and stuff. He has a place to stay and his family is doing what family does best.
Really, the only thing I have that he still needs is reading material.
I am putting together a little care package of comics and books and stuff.
I don't know who really reads this, but whoever you are, consider yourself lucky. Oh, and get renter's insurance. It's cheap and I am sure Derek will be the first to tell you that it's invaluable.
I am grateful that Derek survived the fire and I'll hug my family a bit tighter tonight.
You should do the same.

1 Comments:

Blogger carrie said...

When my sister's house burned down I felt the same way. I wanted to help but buying her stuff didn't seem like enough. It was even worse when I saw the remains and realized that if she had been there she might not have made it out, especially if she was sleeping. It's tough when bad things happen to people you care about. Just know that years down the road Derek will appreciate you being there for him regardless of how small it seems to you. The community and church rallied together to help my sister and Matt out and she still appreciates what everyone did for her.

10:20 AM, October 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home